Modeling & Simulation
Simulation Based Acquisition (SBA)Add to favorites
Simulation Based Acquisition (SBA) is the robust and interactive use of Modeling & Simulation (M&S) throughout the product life cycle. The Program Manager (PM) should employ SBA and M&S during system design, test and evaluation, and modification and upgrade. The PM should collaborate with operational users and consider industry inputs during SBA/M&S program planning. Planning should include the application, support, documentation, and reuse of M&S; and the integration of SBA/M&S across functional disciplines. 
The goal of SBA is the sharing of models and data among Industry and the Government and include: 
- Substantially Reduce the Time, Resources, and Risk Associated With the Entire Acquisition Process; ·
- Increase the Quality, Military Worth and Supportability of Fielded Systems, While Reducing Total Ownership Costs (TOC) Throughout the Total Life Cycle;
- Enable Integrated Product and Process Development (IPPD) across the Entire Acquisition Life Cycle
The following considerations are useful during SBA/M&S planning activities: 
- Plan for SBA/M&S and make necessary investments early in the acquisition life cycle.
- Use verified, validated, and accredited models and simulations, and ensure credible applicability for each proposed use.
- Use data from system testing during development to validate the use of M&S.
- Use SBA/M&S to supports efficient test planning, pre-test results prediction, and the validation of system interoperability; and supplement design qualification, actual Test & Evaluation (T&E), manufacturing, and operational support;
- Involve the Operational Test Agency (OTA) in SBA/M&S planning to support both developmental test and operational test objectives.
- Have the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) review and validate threat-related elements.
AcqLinks and References:
- Modeling & Simulation Guidance for the Acquisition Workforce – Oct 208
- DoD Instruction 5000.61 “DoD M&S Verification, Validation, and Accreditation (VV&A)” – 9 Dec 2009
- DoD 5000.59 “DoD Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Management” – 8 Aug 2007
- DoD “M&S Body of Knowledge (BOK)” – June 2008
- DAU “Test and Evaluation Management Guide” – Chapter 14 – Jan 2005
- SMC “Systems Engineering Handbook” – 15 Jan 2004
- DoD 5000.59-M “M&S Glossary” – Jan 1998
- DoD “M&S Glossary” – 1 Oct 2011
- Acquisition Modeling and Simulation Master Plan – 17 April 2006
- White Paper: JHU APL “Best Practices for the Development of M&A” – June 10
- White Paper: Introduction to Modeling and Simulation by Anu Maria
- White Paper: Introduction to Modeling and Simulation
- Presentation: Manager’s Guide to the High Level Architecture (HLA) for M&S – 11 May 2009
-  Website: DAU Simulated Based Acqquisitions (SBA)
-  Website: NAVAIR – Simulation Based Acquisition (SBA)
- Website: Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation
- Website: Army Modeling and Simulation Office
- Website: DoD M&S Coordination Office (MSCO)
- Website: DoD M&S Catalog
- Website: Simulate Interoperability Standards Organization (SISO)