Democratic Leadership StyleAdd to favorites
Democratic leadership is a type of leadership style in which members of the group take a more participative role in the decision-making process. Researchers have found that this learning style is usually one of the most effective and leaders to higher productivity, better contributions from group members and increased group morale. Employees meet to discuss and resolve issues by giving everyone some opportunity to contribute to decisions.
Figure 1: Leadership Styles 
Some of the primary characteristics of democratic leadership include: 
- Group members are encouraged to share ideas and opinions, even though the leader retains the final say over decisions.
- Members of the group feel more engaged in the process.
- Creativity is encouraged and rewarded.
The downside of Democratic leadership includes: 
- Can lead to communication failures and uncompleted projects during unclear times.
- Group members may not have the necessary knowledge or expertise to make quality contributions to the decision-making process.
Other types of leadership styles:
AcqLinks and References: