Contracts & Legal
Contracting Officer Representative (COR)Add to favorites
A Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) is an individual authorized in writing by the contracting officer to perform specific technical or administrative contract functions. The COR must receive a written designation of their authority to act on behalf of the contracting officer. (DFARS Subsection 201.602-2)
The COR is not authorized to make any commitments or changes that will affect price, quality, quantity, delivery, or any other term or condition of the contract.
Contracting Officers may designate qualified personnel as their authorized representatives to assist in the technical monitoring or administration of a contract. A COR: 
- Must be a Government employee, unless otherwise authorized in agency regulations.
- Must be qualified by training and experience commensurate with the responsibilities to be delegated in accordance with department/agency guidelines.
- May not be delegated responsibility to perform functions at a contractor’s location that have been delegated under FAR 42.202(a) to a contract administration office.
- May not be delegated authority to make any commitments or changes that affect price, quality, quantity, delivery, or other terms and conditions of the contract.
- Must be designated in writing, and a copy furnished the contractor and the contract administration office:
- Specifying the extent of the COR’s authority to act on behalf of the contracting officer;
- Identifying the limitations on the COR’s authority;
- Specifying the period covered by the designation;
- Stating the authority is not redelegable; and
- Stating that the COR may be personally liable for unauthorized acts.
- Must maintain a file for each contract assigned. This file must include, as a minimum:
- A copy of the contracting officer’s letter of designation and other documentation describing the COR’s duties and responsibilities; and
- Documentation of actions taken in accordance with the delegation of authority.
AcqLinks and References:
- DoD Instruction 5000.72 “DoD Standard for Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) Certification” – 26 March 2015
- DoD Contracting Officer Representative (COR) Handbook, 22 March 12
- DoD Contracting Officer Representative (COR) Handbook
- Army Contracting Officer’s Representative Guide
-  Website: DFARS Subsection 201.602-2 Responsibilities
- Website: FAR 42.202(a) – Contract Administration Services