Major Defense Acquisition Program
A Major Defense Acquisition Program (MDAP) (10 USC § 2430) is a program that meet or exceeds the ACAT I requirements in DoD Instruction 5000.02 "Operation of the Defense Acquisition System" and is classified as a MDAP by the Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) or Under Secretary of Defense (USD) Acquisition, Technology & Logistics (AT&L).
|Reason for ACAT Designation||Decision Authority|
|ACAT I||ACAT I programs are defined as
Major Defense Acquisition Programs (MDAP).
Cost Estimate to Exceed:
- Total Research, Development, Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) >= $365 Million in Fiscal Year (FY) 2000 dollars
- Total Procurement >= $2.190 Billion in FY Year 2000 dollars
1. ACAT IC: For which the MDA is the DoD Component Head or, if delegated, the Component Acquisition Executive (CAE). The C refers to Component
2. ACAT ID: For which the MDA is USD (AT&L). The D refers to Defense Acquisition Board (DAB),which advises the USD (AT&L) at major decision points.
|USD (AT&L) or delegate for sub-categories|
ACAT IA are programs that are classified as Major
Automated Information System (MAIS)
designated by the Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) as:
|USD (AT&L) or designee|
The Secretary of Defense may adjust the amounts listed above on the basis of Department of Defense (DoD) escalation rates. An adjustment under this subsection shall be effective after the Secretary transmits a written notification of the adjustment to the Committee on Armed Services of the Senate and the Committee on Armed Services of the House of Representatives.
AcqLinks and References:
- DoD Instruction 5000.02 "Operation of the Defense Acquisition System" - 26 Nov 2013 - Enclosure 1
- DoD 5000.2R "Mandatory Procedures MDAP and MAIS Acquisition Programs" 5 April 2002
- DoD AT&L "MDAP List" 6 July 2009
- Website: 10 USC § 2430 - Major Defense Acquisition Program (MDAP) Defined